Simple Reading Activities in Spanish about el Día de Muertos (Day of the Dead) for lower level Spanish students (Spanish 1).
The five stories are short texts with three paragraphs each. They are written in the Simple Present Tense. The rest of the page has simple comprehension questions to check understanding.
There is a reading about what Día de Muertos is, another is about a grandma who makes pan de muertos and one about a brother and sister preparing an ofrenda (offering). You will also find a story about what each member of a family does to get the alter ready and finally a story about Claudia organizing a Día de Muertos parade.
These worksheets should only take 10-15 minutes each so are a great item to warm up a class or to end the day. You could do a worksheet every day (lasting a school week) or leave them as homework.
These reading passages would be great in an emergency as a quick filler and you may also find them useful to hand out to fast finishers (so they don’t disrupt others).
We have two versions of each worksheet. One version with a picture about the reading passage, the other is the same text and activities but without the picture. Ideally this second version would be for younger students since each one has a space where they need to draw (and correctly color) something that is mentioned in the text.
All reading texts, questions and instructions are 100% in Spanish making it ideal for language immersion classrooms.
You may also be interested in our other Día de Muertos Reading Passage for Spanish 2/3
Note: We use the term Día de Muertos as used in Mexico and not Día de los Muertos (which is a translation of the English “Day of the Dead”)
Bonus Listening Activity
We have now included a sheet with the 5 stories on one page (without exercises). This is can be used where the teacher gives the comprehension questions orally, or can be used in conjunction with the audio on our YouTube channel so they can read as they listen (without the distraction of other activities on the page).
There is another sheet with the 5 stories on one page, but this time with certain words missing and replaced by a blank line where students can fill with the word they hear on the listening.
Note: The audio of the listening only appears on our YouTube channel. The recording is spoken by a native Spanish speaker.
CONTENT: This resource contains: 19 Pages
- Teacher Guide in Spanish – (1 page)
- Reading with Questions – Día de Muertos – (1 page)
- Reading with Questions – El pan de muertos – (1 page)
- Reading with Questions – La ofrenda del Día de Muertos – (1 page)
- Reading with Questions – El altar de muertos – (1 page)
- Reading with Questions – Las Catrinas – (1 page)
- Same Reading passages – Drawing activity instead of picture – (5 pages)
- 5 Stories on one page – (1 page)
- 5 Stories on one page with missing words – (1 page)
- Teacher Answers – (6 pages)
Here is the audio that accompanies the short stories. It will also give you an idea of the content and level of these short reading passages.
LEVEL: Beginner (CEFR – A1 Level) – Spanish 1
AGE: From 8 years and up
INFORMACIÓN EN ESPAÑOL
5 textos cortos acerca del Día de Muertos con preguntas de comprensión.
CONTENIDO: Este recurso contiene 19 Páginas:
- Guía de Profesor – (1 página)
- Lectura con preguntas – Día de Muertos – (1 página)
- Lectura con preguntas – El pan de muertos – (1 página)
- Lectura con preguntas – La ofrenda del Día de Muertos – (1 página)
- Lectura con preguntas – El altar de muertos – (1 página)
- Lectura con preguntas – Las catrinas – (1 página)
- Las mismas lecturas – Con actividad de dibujar – (5 páginas)
- 5 cuentos en una hoja – (1 página)
- 5 cuentos en una hoja (llenar los espacios) – (1 página)
- Respuestas para los profesores – (6 páginas)
NIVEL: Principiante (CEFR – A1 Level)
EDAD: Desde los 8 años (nativos) hasta adultos