Simple Reading Activities in Spanish about el Año Nuevo (New Year) for lower level Spanish students (Spanish 1).
The five stories are short texts with three paragraphs each. They are written in the Simple Present Tense. The rest of the page has simple comprehension questions to check understanding.
There is a reading about Diego explaining what Año Nuevo is to his class, another is about the tradition of the twelve grapes and one Camila’s New Year Resolutions. You will also learn about the Quemar un muñeco tradition and finally a story about a couple that plan to spend New Year in Auckland, New Zealand.
These worksheets should only take 10-15 minutes each so are a great item to warm up a class or to end the day. You could do a worksheet every day (lasting a school week) or leave them as homework.
These reading passages would be great in an emergency as a quick filler and you may also find them useful to hand out to fast finishers (so they don’t disrupt others).
All reading texts, questions and instructions are 100% in Spanish making it ideal for language immersion classrooms.
Bonus Listening Activity
We have now included a sheet with the 5 stories on one page (without exercises). This is can be used where the teacher gives the comprehension questions orally, or can be used in conjunction with the audio on our YouTube channel so they can read as they listen (without the distraction of other activities on the page).
There is another sheet with the 5 stories on one page, but this time with certain words missing and replaced by a blank line where students can fill with the word they hear on the listening.
Note: The audio of the listening only appears on our YouTube channel. The recording is spoken by a native Spanish speaker.
CONTENT: This resource contains: 14 Pages
- Teacher Guide in Spanish – (1 page)
- Reading with Questions – El Año Nuevo – (1 page)
- Reading with Questions – Las uvas y las doce campanadas – (1 page)
- Reading with Questions – Resoluciones de Año Nuevo – (1 page)
- Reading with Questions – Quemar un muñeco – (1 page)
- Reading with Questions – Año Nuevo en Auckland – (1 page)
- 5 Stories on one page – (1 page)
- 5 Stories on one page with missing words – (1 page)
- Teacher Answers – (6 pages)
Here is the audio that accompanies the short stories. It will also give you an idea of the content and level of these short reading passages.
You may also be interested in our other New Year Spanish Reading Resources:
- Spanish New Year Reading with Photos – Año Nuevo en Chile
- New Year’s Traditions around the the word: Chile (in Spanish)
LEVEL: Beginner (CEFR – A1 Level) – Spanish 1
AGE: From 8 years and up
INFORMACIÓN EN ESPAÑOL
5 textos cortos acerca del Año Nuevo con preguntas de comprensión.
CONTENIDO: Este recurso contiene 14 Páginas:
- Guía de Profesor – (1 página)
- Lectura con preguntas – El Año Nuevo – (1 página)
- Lectura con preguntas – Las uvas y las doce campanadas – (1 página)
- Lectura con preguntas – Resoluciones de Año Nuevo – (1 página)
- Lectura con preguntas – Quemar un muñeco – (1 página)
- Lectura con preguntas –Año Nuevo en Auckland – (1 página)
- 5 cuentos en una hoja – (1 página)
- 5 cuentos en una hoja (llenar los espacios) – (1 página)
- Respuestas para los profesores – (6 páginas)
NIVEL: Principiante (CEFR – A1 Level)
EDAD: Desde los 8 años (nativos) hasta adultos